Material to mimic rattan flexibility

brandon

Question

I am looking for a carbon fiber reinforced tapered rod or something that would be similar to rattan that has a good ammount of flex. With rattan being a natural product the diameters can vary a lot and we would like to get rid of having to sort out the diameters we dont use. The butt end would need to be 9.5 mm in diameter and the other end would need to b 9 mm at 16-1/2 inches in length. I would also be interested on the larger end could have a raduis added. 

Please reach out with any suggestions.

4 answers to this question

2 hours ago, brandon said:

I am looking for a carbon fiber reinforced tapered rod or something that would be similar to rattan that has a good ammount of flex. With rattan being a natural product the diameters can vary a lot and we would like to get rid of having to sort out the diameters we dont use. The butt end would need to be 9.5 mm in diameter and the other end would need to b 9 mm at 16-1/2 inches in length. I would also be interested on the larger end could have a raduis added. 

Please reach out with any suggestions.

@Emily Lewis might have a good suggestion 🙂

On 6/12/2024 at 11:23 AM, brandon said:

Great! i am all ears.

Hi Brandon!

Could you please define how much flex you're looking for in the 16.5" length?

Carbon fiber tends to be a stiffer material, so it's not inherently going to flex that much before the fibers start to break. We do have an Ekoa fiber material (plant-based!) that will flex more than carbon, we can always try and tweak the layup to get the flex values you're looking for!

Thanks,

Shane Sorbom