Layup material

Dave R

Question

I am looking to possibly make a couple carbon fiber hoods for off road racing buggy’s, using a lay up method.  The hoods would be about 30” wide and 48” long the do have several flanges and curves.  I would like to know what fabric you would recommend and how many layers/thickness you would recommend. 

1 answer to this question

On 9/19/2024 at 5:03 AM, Dave R said:

I am looking to possibly make a couple carbon fiber hoods for off road racing buggy’s, using a lay up method.  The hoods would be about 30” wide and 48” long the do have several flanges and curves.  I would like to know what fabric you would recommend and how many layers/thickness you would recommend. 

The layers and carbon fiber fabric choice depend a lot on how lightweight you need it to be and what your budget is. A lot of people go with carbon fiber for a top layer and use fiberglass underneath. Some use full carbon. As you mentioned, there are also different material choices.

There are a lot of great videos showing how to do this on YouTube. The only I’ve noticed is that most of them don’t show how to make the support structure.