Spray foam panel core

MarkTom

Question

I need advice…  I want to embed a curved metal frame inside of a 1” thick sandwich panel that I will form around the metal frame using 2 thin carbon sheets, and spray foam for the core.  My question is if I could simply spray expanding 2lb density P.U foam against one panel that has already been glued to the metal frame, and then afterwards, to glue the other carbon fiber panel against the cured foam/frame composite.  Normally one would use polyiso foam panels for this type of construction, but because of the curved form of my structure, I wonder if I could use spray foam, which is also very stick, from what I hear.

1 answer to this question

6 minutes ago, MarkTom said:

I need advice…  I want to embed a curved metal frame inside of a 1” thick sandwich panel that I will form around the metal frame using 2 thin carbon sheets, and spray foam for the core.  My question is if I could simply spray expanding 2lb density P.U foam against one panel that has already been glued to the metal frame, and then afterwards, to glue the other carbon fiber panel against the cured foam/frame composite.  Normally one would use polyiso foam panels for this type of construction, but because of the curved form of my structure, I wonder if I could use spray foam, which is also very stick, from what I hear.

You'd end up having to shape this anyways. It's not going to come out even.

I'd just get a block of foam or make one and shape it. You're probably also going to need a mandrel or something.

@John Kimball might be able to provide you with some input.