integrating metal framing with carbon fiber walls

MarkTom

Question

I am reconsidering my bicycle trailer project, and am confused about the way that I should design it.  I do not have special tools like ovens, vaccuums, molds, presses, etc.; and so with that in mind, could you please suggest both the strongest way it could be designed, AND the most economical way it could be designed?   One thing I know—it should be constructed using carbon fiber, and not plywood or fiberglass.  Now I will explain the project, with illustrations following EACH sentence. 

PICTURE 1 shows the bare frame of a bicycle trailer

PICTURE 2 shows an enclosure for the trailer, made of wood and foam

PICTURE 3 shows my desired outcome for the new design using carbon fiber

My confusion concerns the method that I should use to construct the walls of the new enclosure, having been disappointed in the past using wood and soft-foam. I’m unsure how I should integrate the carbon fiber and rigid foam, with the metal frame of the trailer.  Here is what I believe could be my options:

✓ Build a carbon fiber tube frame, and glue it to the TOP of the metal frame, and then fill the large openings between the tubes, with rigid foam. Finally, sandwich this tube/foam composite core, between two .3 mm thick carbon fiber sheets.

✓ Use neither rigid-foam nor tubes, but instead aluminum sandwich panels to form the entire trailer walls, and bond them the outside of the metal frame.  Finally attach carbon fiber tubes to the top edge of the panel.

What would be the strongest method?
What would be the most economical method?
…no vaccuum, no heat press, etc

Thank you in advance!

Frame.jpeg

Trailer+Bike.jpeg

________________________.jpg

3 answers to this question

2 hours ago, MarkTom said:
I am reconsidering my bicycle trailer project, and am confused about the way that I should design it.  I do not have special tools like ovens, vaccuums, molds, presses, etc.; and so with that in mind, could you please suggest both the strongest way it could be designed, AND the most economical way it could be designed?   One thing I know—it should be constructed using carbon fiber, and not plywood or fiberglass.  Now I will explain the project, with illustrations following EACH sentence. 

PICTURE 1 shows the bare frame of a bicycle trailer

PICTURE 2 shows an enclosure for the trailer, made of wood and foam

PICTURE 3 shows my desired outcome for the new design using carbon fiber

My confusion concerns the method that I should use to construct the walls of the new enclosure, having been disappointed in the past using wood and soft-foam. I’m unsure how I should integrate the carbon fiber and rigid foam, with the metal frame of the trailer.  Here is what I believe could be my options:

✓ Build a carbon fiber tube frame, and glue it to the TOP of the metal frame, and then fill the large openings between the tubes, with rigid foam. Finally, sandwich this tube/foam composite core, between two .3 mm thick carbon fiber sheets.

✓ Use neither rigid-foam nor tubes, but instead aluminum sandwich panels to form the entire trailer walls, and bond them the outside of the metal frame.  Finally attach carbon fiber tubes to the top edge of the panel.

What would be the strongest method?
What would be the most economical method?
…no vaccuum, no heat press, etc

Thank you in advance!

Frame.jpeg

Trailer+Bike.jpeg

________________________.jpg

You can use carbon fiber sheets but the bends are going to be a challenge. So is UV damage. The carbon fiber is likely going to get brittle and splinter over time.

Why don’t you just use fabric?

1 hour ago, lo_0l said:

You can use carbon fiber sheets but the bends are going to be a challenge. So is UV damage. The carbon fiber is likely going to get brittle and splinter over time.

Why don’t you just use fabric?

What do you mean by using fabric?  To glue nylon to the rigid foam boards that are glued between the metal tubes that form the frame?  I do intend to cover the carbon fiber sheet with reflective sheeting in some places, and neoprene sheeting in other places.  What does it mean to "use fabric?"

On 9/26/2024 at 9:46 PM, MarkTom said:

What do you mean by using fabric?  To glue nylon to the rigid foam boards that are glued between the metal tubes that form the frame?  I do intend to cover the carbon fiber sheet with reflective sheeting in some places, and neoprene sheeting in other places.  What does it mean to "use fabric?"

I mean literally use a tough outdoor fabric like Sunbrella for the sides and aluminum for the floor. Sunbrella is the kind of fabric they use for outdoor furniture cushions. That kind of fabric goes by lots of other names, but that's the brand name I've used before.

This would keep the weight down to a minimum, fit all of the curves of your trailer, and it's UV resistant to boot. You can attach it with grommets and elastic rope to loops on the frame or something of the sort. Or use grommets and rivet it directly to the frame but I don't think that'd provide the fit you're looking to accomplish.

Then for the floor you can use carbon fiber or aluminum.

Anyways... there are a lot of ways to go about this, but that's how I'd do it 🙂